How to Play Baccarat
Baccarat is a popular and exciting casino table game and how can you go wrong playing James Bond’s game of choice? The game is simple to play with only three betting options available and there is no lack of places to play baccarat for real money and for free.
Real Money Baccarat
If you are looking for real money baccarat you have some choices. Not only is the game popular at most land-based casinos but you can find it at most online casinos as well. In terms of online casinos baccarat is a game offered often and because it is so popular you can not only find it in a wide variety of stakes but often find it as well in online live casinos.
For the live online casino baccarat action, it gives you a true-to-life gaming experience playing the game, as it is more interactive allowing you to chat with the dealer. Not only is baccarat a game that is offered for real money at many online casinos but a significant amount of them will allow you to play in the demo mode, which means you can play for free.
Baccarat is a rather easy game to play, as there are only three bets that you can make in the player bet, banker bet, and dealer bet. While you are the player in the game you are not relegated to betting on the player hand, as you can bet on all three options. The main object of the game is to bet on the two or three-card hand that has a point total closest to 9.
The first thing to do is to make your wager on the player hand, banker hand, or the tie. After that, two cards are dealt to you (player) and the dealer (banker). Then you calculate the points for each hand. Tens and the face cards (Jack, Queen, and King) are worth 0 points. The Ace is worth 1 point and all of the other cards are their face value. For example, if there is a 10 and a 7 the hand value is 7, with 10 worth 0 points and a 7 worth 7 points. If the total of the hand is over 9 you take the second digit of the point totals added together and that is the total. For example, if there is a hand with a 6 and a 7 the total is 3, as adding together the number is 13 and you take the second digit as the total.
If the first two cards dealt for the player hand or banker’s hand are 8 or 9 it is called a natural win and the bets are paid out for the winning hand. For example, if you bet the banker’s hand and it is an 8 value you will win.
The player hand is the first one played and if that hand has a value of 6 of 7 no more cards are dealt. If the total is 0-5 one more additional card is dealt.
Here are the banker hand rules when the player hand is dealt a third card:
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 9,10 or 1 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-3 or stands having 4-7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 8 the banker’s hands draws one card having 0-2 and stands having 3-7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 6 or 7 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-6 and stands having 7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 4 of 5 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-5 and stands on 6 and 7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 2 or 3 the banker hand draws one card and stands having 5-7.
After all the cards are dealt out the winning hand is calculated. The hand that is closest to 9 is the winner. If there is a tie and no tie bet was made the bet is a push.
Here are a few baccarat strategy tips that can help increase your chances of winning.
- Know the Payouts – Before you sit down at a baccarat table make sure you know the exact payouts, as they will sometimes differ. A win for a player bet is paid out even money. While the banker bet win is also paid out event money at 1:1 the casino will typically take a 5% commission on that bet. A tie bet will pay out either 8:1 or 9:1 depending on where you are playing.
- Avoid the Tie Bet – The tie bet pays out the most and because of that looks enticing but many experts warn against making it. The main reason is that the house edge is huge at 14.4%.
- Bet on the Banker – While a casino will take a commission bet on the banker one if you look at the house edge it is still the bet to make. In baccarat, the house edge for the player bet is 1.24% while it is 1.06 for the banker bet. Even factoring in the casino commission for the banker bet, in the long run, it is still the best bet out of the three in the game.
- Find the Casino With the Lowest Banker Bet Commission – Typically, casinos will have a banker bet commission of 5% but there will be some that have higher and lower ones. The lower the commission on the banker bet the less the house edge will be for that wager and because of that, it can be more advantageous to you when making the banker bet.
- Don’t Search for Patterns – This is a strategy that should be followed for, pretty much, all casino games and baccarat is one of them. If a player bet wins five times in a row the odds of it winning the sixth time are the same, as the house edge will not change. Do not follow streaks or patterns, as the odds do not change, and just because you may think a bet is more of a sure thing because it has won a few or several times in a row that is not the case.
- Use Sold Money Management – This is another strategy that should be followed for all casino games. Never gamble with more money than you can afford to lose. Remember for any casino game the house always has the edge. Also, in terms of having solid money management never chase or hedge bets. This is betting more on a hand after a losing streak to try to win your money back quickly. This is the fastest way to drain your bankroll and if you hit a cold streak the best thing to do is chip away at it and not try to get it back with one hand.
Try online Baccarat here:
Last Updated on September 28, 2020