Baccarat is a rather easy game to play, as there are only three bets that you can make in the player bet, banker bet, and dealer bet. While you are the player in the game you are not relegated to betting on the player hand, as you can bet on all three options. The main object of the game is to bet on the two or three-card hand that has a point total closest to 9.
The first thing to do is to make your wager on the player hand, banker hand, or the tie. After that, two cards are dealt to you (player) and the dealer (banker). Then you calculate the points for each hand. Tens and the face cards (Jack, Queen, and King) are worth 0 points. The Ace is worth 1 point and all of the other cards are their face value. For example, if there is a 10 and a 7 the hand value is 7, with 10 worth 0 points and a 7 worth 7 points. If the total of the hand is over 9 you take the second digit of the point totals added together and that is the total. For example, if there is a hand with a 6 and a 7 the total is 3, as adding together the number is 13 and you take the second digit as the total.
If the first two cards dealt for the player hand or banker’s hand are 8 or 9 it is called a natural win and the bets are paid out for the winning hand. For example, if you bet the banker’s hand and it is an 8 value you will win.
The player hand is the first one played and if that hand has a value of 6 of 7 no more cards are dealt. If the total is 0-5 one more additional card is dealt.
Here are the banker hand rules when the player hand is dealt a third card:
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 9,10 or 1 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-3 or stands having 4-7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 8 the banker’s hands draws one card having 0-2 and stands having 3-7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 6 or 7 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-6 and stands having 7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 4 of 5 the banker’s hand draws one card having 0-5 and stands on 6 and 7.
- If the player hand third card is has a value of 2 or 3 the banker hand draws one card and stands having 5-7.
After all the cards are dealt out the winning hand is calculated. The hand that is closest to 9 is the winner. If there is a tie and no tie bet was made the bet is a push.